Monday, November 29, 2010

My first "winter" race BF

Well, not the real winter you hardcore guys from Midwest with single digit temperatures run in but the local variation we are blessed with here in the Northwest.

I sign up for 10k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. The race is on a paved trail in a park, the temperature is 32F and there are some icy patches mixed with a little snow on the trail.

I have gathered all the information I could find about running BF in winter on the Barefoot Runners Society forum before so I dress warmly, put vasoline on top of my feet and stay in my flip-flops until the starter gun. I am a little worried about running on the ice but the organizers make a bypass at the very last moment to avoid the largest icy section so we can run on grass instead.

There are a lot of runners so the first two minutes everybody just walks and I start worrying about my cold feet but when I finally manage to get to my tempo my feet warm up and I feel great and pretty confident about the rest of the run. I pass a lot of people and this is the first time I actually notice and wonder about how most of the shod runners loudly slap their feet with low cadence huffing and puffing.

I finish easily in 50 minutes with a big smile at the finish line hearing a guy with a megaphone announcing: "We got a barefoot runner here, it must really hurt to run barefoot especially in this cold weather". I wish he knows how wrong he is.

My feet are just fine, not a single blister, I only feel a bit of soreness on my front pads afterwards but that is gone by evening that day.

More races like this ! 






No comments:

Post a Comment