Sunday, November 28, 2010

I did it ! - My first trail run

I have been running BF exclusively on asphalt/concrete for the last 6 months and I really like it but after reading so much about the beauty of the BFR trails I finally decided to give a trail run a shot.

I pick an old forest road, mostly muddy in the current rainy weather witch stretches of sharp gravel and rock.
I put my brand new VFF in backpack just in case. It is cold (35F) and wet so it takes me some time to warm up my feet and then I feel quite comfortable. I constantly scan the road avoiding "the big stuff", not worrying about "the small stuff". I run for 40 minutes (4.4 miles) and turn back. I am trying to relax the feet and the soft landing as much as I can fighting the pain from stepping on the rocks. I am able to run back for 20 more minutes than give up and put VFF on and finish the last 20 minutes.

The total is 8.8 miles in 1 hour 25 minutes and my feet are burning. After checking I find about 4 small bruises from the sharp rocks (all in the soft arch areas) but that's it. I feel great overall.

Now I am really looking forward to my next concrete run because that is going to be such a piece of cake after this adventure.

But trail running is a new challenge for me which I like so I am going to try the same trail after a week hoping to run it more relaxed.

A couple of pictures from the trail:












No comments:

Post a Comment